NFL Players Say a Gay Teammate Is 'Not a Distraction'
BY Jase Peeples
April 02 2013 3:38 PM ET
Minnesota Vikings punter Chris Kluwe continues to lead the way for LGBT inclusion in professional sports.
“Players -- those of you worried about a gay teammate checking out your ass in the shower, or hitting on you in the steam room, or bringing too much attention to the team -- I have four simple words for you. Grow the f*** up. This is our job, we are adults, so would you kindly act like one?” Kluwe writes.“There are millions of people across America who work with gay co-workers every day, and they handle their business without riotous orgies consuming the work environment.”
Kluwe also offered words of encouragement to any current NFL player who might be considering coming out of the closet, “You are a teammate, a friend, and you do not have to sacrifice who you are for the team to win, no matter what anyone else says.You are not a distraction.”
Kluwe’s sentiments have been echoed by several other NFL players, including the Washington Redskins’ Adam Carriker. When the defensive lineman was recently asked on his radio show, 4th & Pain, about his opinion on an NFL player coming out as gay, he responded by saying he didn’t “think it would be a big deal” but that it might depend on the team to which the athlete belonged.
“Odds are somebody out there in the big wide world of the NFL is gay. ... If somebody comes out, I think it's going to depend on the locker room,” Carriker said. “There are certain locker rooms that have veteran leadership more so than others. For instance, if it was a Washington Redskin player I don't think it would be a big deal. We have a lot of veteran good guys, good veteran leadership on this team.“
Find the full clip from Carriker’s radio show below.
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics 8 min 25 sec ago
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? 15 min 59 sec ago
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President 56 min 33 sec ago
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics 1 hour 53 min ago
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes 2 hours 8 min ago
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn 2 hours 25 min ago
- Women Pussy Riot To Be Freed 2 hours 39 min ago