Exclusive in Sochi: Janet Napolitano and U.S. Delegation on Why They're There
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 08 2014 3:52 PM ET
The president said this week that sending out Olympians as part of the U.S. delegation to the games in Sochi was no accident — it's a message to the world and Russia about equality.
Now there on the ground, where "gay propaganda" is illegal, the delegation is speaking out in an interview with The Advocate.
Former Homeland Security secretary Janet Napolitano backed up President Obama's message.
"We come from a country that believes strongly in universal human values, like equality, freedom of expression, diversity," she told interviewer Charley Cullen Walters, "and our delegation certainly covers all of those areas, as do our athletes. And we as a country stand firm for those values, as does our president."
(Watch the interview with Napolitano and the rest of the delegation in the video above.)
- WATCH: Donald Trump Still Can't Explain His Marriage Equality Opposition
- Trayvon Martin Killer George Zimmerman Proves He's a Racist Homophobe
- WATCH: Kentucky Clerk Defies Court Again, Turns Away Same-Sex Couple a Third Time
- WATCH: John Oliver Explains the Equality Act
- TBT: Mid-Century Dreamboats
- U.S. Marine Claims 'Trans Panic' in Murder of Trans Filipina Jennifer Laude