BY Advocate.com Editors
February 02 2009 1:00 AM ET
7. The Golden Triangle of Thailand
The Eco-Adventure: The Golden Triangle of northern Thailand is a lush teak-tree region where the borders of Thailand, Myanmar, and Laos converge. Travelers here visit lavishly dressed hill tribes with their distinct elongated neck pieces, see ornate shrines to Buddha, cruise the rivers in long boats, bask in hot springs, and soak up the natural southeast Asian environment far away from the metropolitan rush of Bangkok.
Do It Gaily: Gay tour operator Zoom Vacations (ZoomVacations.com; 866-966-6822) not only delves deeply into the cultures and ecological wonders of the Golden Triangle, they also take you to see Burmese temples across the border in Myanmar, and the friendly, earthy villages across the border in Laos. If you fall in love with the area and want to linger longer, check into PJ’s Place (PJs-Place.com; +66-5340-4894) a gay-owned luxury property near Chiang Mai.
8. The Black Hills of South Dakota
The Eco-Adventure: The Black Hills of South Dakota are much more than the home of the impressive profiles of Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, and Roosevelt chiseled into Mount Rushmore. The area includes rock spires jutting out of thickly forested mountains, and the hills are also home to Wind Cave National Park, Jewel Cave National Monument, and Custer State Park. The latter is 73,000 acres and home to one of the largest bison herds in the world (1,500), not to mention pronghorn antelope, mountain goats, bighorn sheep, deer, elk, wild turkeys, and a band of friendly burros that often come right up to your car. A must for outdoor types is a hike up to the 7,242-foot Harney Peak, a sacred mountain for the Sioux, with incredible 360-degree views of the Black Hills from a stone watchtower on its summit.
Do It Gaily: There isn’t much gay in this part of the world except a couple of down-home queer bars in nearby Rapid City, but you can check into the lesbian-owned Rustlin Pines B&B (RustlinPines.com; 605-255-4681), a log cabin at the base of the Black Hills with a hot tub, fireplace, and king-sized log bed.
9. The Loire Valley of France
The Eco-Adventure: The winding Loire Valley cuts through France’s heart in a deep green swath, sprinkled liberally with castles and vineyards. Some of Europe’s most opulent châteaux are tucked within the natural beauty of the region, which overflows with rolling hills and medieval, Renaissance, and Gothic architecture. There’s even Chateau d’Usse, the castle that inspired the book Sleeping Beauty.
Do It Gaily: The best way to get up close and personal to the lush region is via a bike tour. Alyson Adventures (AlysonAdventures.com; 800-825-9766) runs a five-day all-LGBT trip that includes peddling along pastoral roads to tiny hamlets where townsfolk live in hobbit-style caves, enormous chateaux with meticulous gardens, and little-known historical outpost villages. If you want to soak in the region longer, check into the gay-owned La Grande Maison D’Arthenay (LaGrandeMaison.net; +33-2-4140-3506) surrounded by vineyards, or the lesbian-owned Le Chateau des Ormeaux (ChateauDesOrmeaux.fr, +33-2-4723-2651), a virtual castle unto itself.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process to Remain Relevant
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families 2 hours 30 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth 6:22 PM
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva 6:15 PM