Take a Look Back: Gay at the Prom
BY Michelle Garcia
June 20 2012 5:00 AM ET
Misty, 1994: My cousin Harley (in the shoulder-cutout green machine) and I (in the skin-tight black and form-hugging pearls) have been BFFs since our early teens. We also always liked to push every boundary we could find! So when my junior prom rolled around in 1994, we decided to go together. (Neither of us is gay, though you'll never know two more pro-gay straight people in the world.) Partly for shock value, but partly because we were daring anyone to say anything to us about who we were and what we stood for. We did it up right too — limo, corsages, pictures, dinner at Sizzler! To this day, it's one of my favorite stories and memories. I still say we were ahead of our time.
- Tennessee Hardware Store Puts Up 'No Gays Allowed' Sign
- Girl Scouts Return $100K When Donor Demands It 'Not Be Used' For Trans Girls
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- Why Is the Duggar Family Paying the Cops Investigating Them?
- PHOTOS: A Global Pride Explosion
- Girl Scouts Raise $100,000 in One Day After Dropping Transphobic Donor