Will Kirk Cameron Accept Invitation to Meet Bullied LGBT Youth?
BY Jeremy Kinser
July 24 2012 6:38 PM ET
Actor-conservative pundit Kirk Cameron has been invited to lunch with a group of bullied LGBT teenagers when he visits Ocean Grove, New Jersey for a "pro-marriage" event July 27.
Cameron, who gained notoriety earlier this year for publicly calling homosexuality "unnatural, detrimental, and destructive" is scheduled to speak at the "Love Worth Fighting For" event in Ocean Grove, whose LGBT community is reportedly largely responsible for the town's revitalization. The Asbury Park Press quotes a phone interview with Cameron, in which he notes that everyone is welcome to the event. “They will feel loved and cared about and they will be challenged to think about what marriage is really all about — we invite everyone, everyone is welcome,” he says.
Corey Bernstein, the co-chair for Garden State Equality'sYouth Caucus, sent an invitation to Cameron's manager last Friday, asking the actor to meet the group for lunch July 28. His letter to Cameron reads in part, "The problem is not just that you oppose marriage equality —a view we disagree with, but to which you are entitled in our free nation — but that you did so with such disregard for how we youth would perceive your words."
Bernstein adds, “Haven’t my teen colleagues and I endured enough hurtful words at school? What kind of lesson might you, as a public figure, be giving to would-be bullies?”
Neither Cameron nor his manager have yet responded to the invitation.
Watch a video of the Youth Caucus below.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Sports WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers 1 hour 6 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black 2 hours 10 min ago
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM