Will Kirk Cameron Accept Invitation to Meet Bullied LGBT Youth?
BY Jeremy Kinser
July 24 2012 7:38 PM ET
Actor-conservative pundit Kirk Cameron has been invited to lunch with a group of bullied LGBT teenagers when he visits Ocean Grove, New Jersey for a "pro-marriage" event July 27.
Cameron, who gained notoriety earlier this year for publicly calling homosexuality "unnatural, detrimental, and destructive" is scheduled to speak at the "Love Worth Fighting For" event in Ocean Grove, whose LGBT community is reportedly largely responsible for the town's revitalization. The Asbury Park Press quotes a phone interview with Cameron, in which he notes that everyone is welcome to the event. “They will feel loved and cared about and they will be challenged to think about what marriage is really all about — we invite everyone, everyone is welcome,” he says.
Corey Bernstein, the co-chair for Garden State Equality'sYouth Caucus, sent an invitation to Cameron's manager last Friday, asking the actor to meet the group for lunch July 28. His letter to Cameron reads in part, "The problem is not just that you oppose marriage equality —a view we disagree with, but to which you are entitled in our free nation — but that you did so with such disregard for how we youth would perceive your words."
Bernstein adds, “Haven’t my teen colleagues and I endured enough hurtful words at school? What kind of lesson might you, as a public figure, be giving to would-be bullies?”
Neither Cameron nor his manager have yet responded to the invitation.
Watch a video of the Youth Caucus below.
- Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia March 15 2014 7:41 PM
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman March 15 2014 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men March 15 2014 2:52 PM
- Transgender Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant March 15 2014 11:57 AM
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda March 15 2014 5:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina March 15 2014 4:00 AM