Newspaper Uncovers Nightmare Scenario for Gay Teen in Foster Care
BY Lucas Grindley
November 01 2012 1:19 PM ET
What amounts to a nightmare for a young gay teen in foster care is chronicled in today's Miami Herald.
The newspaper reports that when the teen (whose identity is being withheld) turned 16, administrators at the Christian school he was being sent to began to get suspicious about his relationship with his male best friend. They confronted the teen with a yes or no question: Are you gay?
He answered yes, and then things got worse. The school expelled him, he was forbidden to speak with his best friend, and the staff at the foster care shelter where he lived attempted to convert the teen to being straight.
When the conversion didn't seem to be working, the teen says administrators and other kids at the shelter mocked him. The shelter, called His House Children's Home, is accused of ending its search for a permanent adoption and kicking the teen out of a program that would have paid for his college tuition and expenses.
The teen had already had a hard life. At age 10, he entered foster care because his mother was accused of beating him. Then while in foster care, another child molested the teen and was later arrested.
The tragic story comes to light because the teen wrote to his court-appointed guardian about the experience, and the guardian called for an investigation by the Department of Children and Families in Florida. But DCF opted against pursuing it because it said neither the school or shelter had broken any laws.
- Theater PHOTOS: Terrence McNally's Mothers and Sons 22 min 35 sec ago
- Religion Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People 37 min 22 sec ago
- Travel Drag Race: NASCAR's Biggest Gay Fan on the Vegas Cup Race 39 min 32 sec ago
- Television Looking Back: Where Things Stand Heading Into Season 2 46 min 36 sec ago
- Art WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old 1 hour 3 sec ago
- Television WATCH: The First Trailer for HBO's Adaptation of The Normal Heart 10:28 AM
- Comedy WATCH: 'Not Looking' Episode 1 10:23 AM