Time Warner Donates Learning Lab to Ali Forney Center
BY Christopher Rudolph
January 02 2013 2:56 PM ET
After the devastation of Hurricane Sandy, the future of the Ali Forney Center, a New York City organization serving homeless LGBT teens, was looking rather grim.
Once news spread of the destruction of the group's drop-in center in Chelsea, the LGBT community rallied to help, even raising more than $400,000 to help with rebuilding. Now even more good news to add to the new year cheer: Time Warner Cable has chosen the Ali Forney Center as the recipient of the Time Warner Cable Learning Lab grant, $50,000 in funds that will provide the center with new computers, tablets, and televisions with the latest technology.
John Quigley, Time Warner's regional vice president for New York City operations, said the company is "proud to partner with an organization that serves as a strong voice for homeless LGBT youth in New York City and across the nation. The Time Warner Cable Learning Lab will feature programs and resources that will assist youth in their educational and career development needs as they grow from adolescence to adulthood."
The Learning Lab will be located at the Ali Forney Center's new drop-in center, located in Harlem, and is expected to open sometime before April.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus 11 min 58 sec ago
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? 12 min 7 sec ago
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards 53 min 50 sec ago
- Entertainment News GQ Germany Features Famous Straight Men Kissing for Tolerance 2 hours 28 min ago
- Women WATCH: Kim Stolz's Ridiculously Beautiful Wedding Video 3:34 PM
- Politics N.J. Legislature Could Enshrine Marriage Equality into State Law 3:17 PM
- Transgender Coalition Still Short in Bid to Repeal Calif. Trans Student Law 3:09 PM