WATCH: High School Senior Comes Out to Standing Ovation
BY Sunnivie Brydum
January 23 2013 3:11 PM ET
Advocate reader Scott Hester-Johnson brought our attention to the powerful video below, in which high school senior Jacob Rudolph bravely comes out as an LGBT teen at a school assembly before 300 fellow students.
The video, filmed and posted to YouTube by Jacob's father, Jonathan Rudolph, shows the younger Rudolph taking the stage to accept the Class Actor award during the school's senior class awards. Rudolph notes that while he's acted in several plays over his academic tenure, he's been acting every day as something he's not: a straight person.
"Most of you see me every day, you see me acting the part of straight Jacob," says Rudolph, as the crowd quiets. "When I am, in fact, an LGBT teen."
Rudolph even spells out the acronym for those classmates unsure of just what he's saying.
Watch the brief video below and enjoy the heart-warming moment when Rudolph's schoolmates give him a standing ovation for his courageous speech.
Do you have an amazing video of someone coming out? Send us a tip at email@example.com.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Ban on Blood Donations by Gay Men
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Editor of Gay Website Beaten in London 3 sec ago
- Film We Steal Secrets: Is Bradley Manning a Hero? 2 min 22 sec ago
- Film A Drinking Game for the Liberace Movie 2 min 49 sec ago
- Health News Canada Lifts Lifetime Ban on Blood Donations by Gay Men 1 hour 12 min ago
- Youth Does AIDS in the Endzone Fumble? 2 hours 53 min ago
- Theater Five Decades Remembered At the Flash 10:07 AM
- Film Why is Behind the Candelabra Like Valley of the Dolls? 9:27 AM