WATCH: Bill Gates Tells Boy Scouts to End Gay Ban, 'Because it's 2013'
BY Sunnivie Brydum
March 16 2013 1:43 PM ET
Bill Gates learned a lot of things in the Boy Scouts — how to tie knots, weave baskets, and endure long hikes — but he didn't learn how to discriminate.
At the first installment of Politico's new interview series, "Playbook Cocktails," the Microsoft founder on Wednesday told Mike Allen that it's time for the Boy Scouts to end its long-standing ban on gay members.
When Allen, Politico's D.C. Bureau Chief, asked the philanthropist if the Scouts should rescind its ban, Gates didn't hesitate.
"Absolutely," responded Gates. When pressed as to why, he provided a no-nonsense answer: "Because it's 2013," said the billionaire, prompting a round of enthusiastic applause from the audience.
Gates has long been an ally, donating hundreds of millions of dollars to the global fight against HIV/AIDS through Microsoft and his charitable Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and most recently personally donating $100,000 toward the successful effort to legalize marriage equality in Washington state last year. Watch the exchange below, and check out the full interview at Politico.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination 2 hours 50 min ago
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias March 10 2014 6:08 PM