Kentucky Church Cuts Ties with Boy Scouts Over Gay Youth
BY Sunnivie Brydum
May 29 2013 11:32 AM ET
An evangelical church in Louisville, Ky., will cease its sponsorship of a local Boy Scout troop over the Boy Scouts of America's recent decision to admit openly gay youth, but continue barring participation by gay or lesbian adults.
The executive pastor at Southeast Christian Church told the Louisville Courier-Journal that the organization has become too polarizing. Church leaders began discussing the issue around the same time the BSA announced it would reconsider its long-standing ban on "open or avowed homosexuals" last summer.
After much debate, church elders decided that supporting the local Boy Scouts was a step too far. Hester said the policy change was a "catalyst" for the church's decision, but wasn't the only issue driving the decision.
"Truly for us it's a logical decision," pastor Tim Hester told the Journal. "We cannot be distracted from the mission God has called us to… We want everyone, including ourselves, to live by biblical standards."
Between Boy Scout Troop and Cub Scout Pack 212, roughly 300 families participate in Scouting events held at the church, according to the Journal. The Scouts have until the end of the year to find a new meeting location.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination December 07 2013 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer December 07 2013 4:00 AM