WATCH: New 'It Gets Better' Campaign Aimed at Russian LGBT Youth
BY Jase Peeples
December 05 2013 7:33 PM ET
In response to Russia's discriminatory anti-LGBT laws, the It Gets Better Project has launched a new campaign aimed specifically at the country’s LGBT youth.
The campaign’s first video, titled "You Are Beautiful," is available in both English and Russian and features people from around the world offering messages of hope and support.
"The It Gets Better Project hopes to reach the millions of LGBT youth in Russia to show they have international support against the outright discrimination happening across their country," said the Project's executive director Ted Farley in a press release. "We want every gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender individual to know they are beautiful, valued and important, and that their friends and allies in the international community are keeping a close eye on their situation while working to end such injustice."
The campaign has launched at a time when Russian LGBT youth are despreately in need of positive messages. Russia’s highest court recently ruled that the country’s nationwide ban on "propaganda of nontraditional sexual relations" in areas visible to minors do not violate the county’s constitution, citing that the ban falls in line with an obligation to “protect motherhood, childhood and family.”
The high court also dismissed claims that the laws were discriminatory, since they applied equally to LGBT and heterosexual Russians who might disseminate such "propaganda."
Watch the It Gets Better Project’s message of hope in the video below.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM