WATCH: New 'It Gets Better' Campaign Aimed at Russian LGBT Youth
BY Jase Peeples
December 05 2013 7:33 PM ET
In response to Russia's discriminatory anti-LGBT laws, the It Gets Better Project has launched a new campaign aimed specifically at the country’s LGBT youth.
The campaign’s first video, titled "You Are Beautiful," is available in both English and Russian and features people from around the world offering messages of hope and support.
"The It Gets Better Project hopes to reach the millions of LGBT youth in Russia to show they have international support against the outright discrimination happening across their country," said the Project's executive director Ted Farley in a press release. "We want every gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender individual to know they are beautiful, valued and important, and that their friends and allies in the international community are keeping a close eye on their situation while working to end such injustice."
The campaign has launched at a time when Russian LGBT youth are despreately in need of positive messages. Russia’s highest court recently ruled that the country’s nationwide ban on "propaganda of nontraditional sexual relations" in areas visible to minors do not violate the county’s constitution, citing that the ban falls in line with an obligation to “protect motherhood, childhood and family.”
The high court also dismissed claims that the laws were discriminatory, since they applied equally to LGBT and heterosexual Russians who might disseminate such "propaganda."
Watch the It Gets Better Project’s message of hope in the video below.
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 2 hours 35 min ago
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 5:01 AM
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 4:00 AM
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM