Artist Spotlight: Syed Kazmi
BY Advocate Contributors
May 15 2010 1:00 AM ET
Why are you a photographer?
I cannot imagine doing anything else. Photography has never been a hobby for me; it has always been a passion. I’m an extremely visual person with an active imagination. I have so many ideas, stories, and emotions in my head that need to get out and they do through my photographs.
What catches your eye?
I’m not sure if this is the right answer, but I get inspired a lot by movies. One of my upcoming shoots was inspired by a scene in The Realm of Senses. There is a scene were the geishas have taken off their kimonos and you see that only exposed skin is covered in makeup. I thought that was really interesting and odd, and so it’s turned into inspiration. So I guess that is what catches my eye.
How do you choose your subjects?
It’s really a very difficult process. I do many castings and work with various modeling agencies. I look for models that can express the emotion I’m looking for. I like them to portray a certain amount of unattainability and detachment.
How do you describe your work?
I would say it’s surreal. I definitely incorporate elements of the real world but have situations that you would never find yourself in.
What makes a good photograph to you?
I like work that stirs an emotion in me. I like my work to seduce the viewer in, and I want to be drawn in as well.
Who are your favorite artists? And why?
I am a huge fan of Steven Klein. I think he has mastered the art of taking different styles and merging them into a photograph. I also love Horst P. Horst. His lighting is amazing, and even to this day it is rare to see someone who is as passionate about lighting as he was. And I also love Herb Ritts. His work is classic and timeless. All of them inspire me beyond words.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
- Democrats and Republicans Alike Wary of Virginia's Radical Lt. Gov. Nominee
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 46 min 10 sec ago
- Politics Neither Democrats Nor Republicans Pleased With Virginia's GOP Lt. Gov. Nominee 1 hour 41 min ago
- Entertainment News Bling King: Liberace Car, Piano on View in NYC 1 hour 57 min ago
- Love and Sex Dear Digital Romeo: How Do I Seduce a Guy Through Chat? 2 hours 20 min ago
- Women Free Kate — She's Been Targeted Before, Says Father 4:09 PM
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 3:26 PM
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 3:13 PM