Artist Spotlight: Roger Erickson
BY Albert Smith
August 28 2010 2:00 AM ET
The Advocate: Why are you a photographer?
Roger Erickson: As a child I had a talent for drawing. I was really into graphic novels and comic book art. My father was an avid "shutterbug" while [I was] growing up. As children we always shot pictures, and my father was into the latest video and tech gadgets of the time. When I got into high school, I progressed from drawing to photography as an additional creative outlet, which later turned into a profession.
What catches your eye?
Moments so unique (coupled with the orchestration of light and mood) that they can't help but offer up an intimate glimpse into the nature of an individuals personality.
How do you choose your subjects?
I generally don't get to choose my subjects. They choose me. I find that each individual has their own unique take on life, and my task is to bring it out in the photograph.
How do you describe your work?
Spontaneous and timeless.
What makes a good photograph to you?
Composition, lighting, and the consistency of an artist's point of view. I enjoy many styles of photography, but the ones who stick out usually have elevated and mastered their point of view to an art form, whereas their unique style and vision consistently inspire and challenge the viewer without explanation.
Who are your favorite artists?
Javier Vallhonrat, Stephane Sednaoui, David LaChapelle, Stephen McCurry, Annie Leibovitz, Fabien Baron, and Richard Avedon.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen 1 hour 55 min ago
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 5:55 PM