Poetry In Motion: Lesbians Take Their Words on Tour
BY Advocate Contributors
October 06 2011 6:00 AM ET
In the following pages, meet the black, lesbian poets who are touring the country with a message about beauty, fluid form, and the transformative power of poetry.
LOVE the poet, Cave Canem, t'ai freedom, and Solrose and Punany, and others will takes center stage for the second annual Revival, Black Lesbian Poets Tour making stops in D.C., Brooklyn, Chicago, and Philadelphia. The Revival hosts a night of music, libation, and word — all in a salon-styled concert.
"It was really interactive," said LOVE the poet, author of the new book, Black Marks on White Paper. "The audience was just as much a part of the stage as we are. It was a give-and-take process that allowed for something different to happen. I think lives were changed."
The tour is sponsored by The Rainbow Collective, Poets & Writers, and The Center for Gay and Lesbian Studies. Here are the stops on the tour:
Today: Washington, D.C., with Bettina Judd
Friday, 2011: Brooklyn, N.Y.. with R. Erica Doyle
Saturday: Philadelphia, Pa., with E. Kairo Miles
October 14, 2011: Chicago, Ill., with Patience Soprano
But if you can't get to a show, meet the women and some of their best work on the following pages.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass-Wedding First in Maryland 9 min 10 sec ago
- Entertainment News How To Take Down An Anti-Gay 'Victim' 27 min 26 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: Perez Hilton Vs. Inflatable Alligator 34 min 3 sec ago
- Entertainment News One Direction: Caught Twerking—and in Calvins 49 min 14 sec ago
- Entertainment News Need to Know: Alabama’s All-Male Cheerleading Squad 1 hour 11 sec ago
- Sports National Gay & Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame’s First Class Announced 1 hour 27 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Did Chris Colfer Get Arrested? 1 hour 34 min ago