In the Galleries: Boys of Summer
BY Christopher Harrity
April 06 2013 3:00 AM ET
Above: Carlos Pisco, Meat Rack
Summer brings the annual weekend exodus to Fire Island Pines, the iconic beach community that, for decades, has come to represent liberation for generations of men seeking a release from the sweaty confines of New York City.
Pines Nude Drawing, founded in 2011 by artist Carlos Pisco, is a casual drawing group established to evoke the community’s past as a haven for artists and intellectuals. The artists assemble each week to draw nude models, sometimes including friends and occasionally the curious onlooker. A key aspect of the group is its changing outdoor locations, which have included pool decks, a yacht, an elaborate English garden, and secret corners deep inside the Meat Rack, the Pines’ infamous cruising ground.
In this weekend’s "Boys of Summer" exhibition at the Leslie-Lohman Museum’s Prince Street Project space, over 120 pieces of artwork by the group will be organized by location, allowing visitors to see different interpretations of the same scenes. Additionally, in the long hallway leading to the gallery, the Fire Island Pines Historical Preservation Society will display the past and present history of the Pines through photos and printed material. The participating artists include Grant Arnold Anderson, Rob Clarke, William Bil Donovan, Dan Evans, Anthony Gonzales, Richard des Jardins, John MacConnell, Robert de Michiell (pictured in exhibit T-shirt at right), Kenneth Nadel, Duane Neil, Carlos Pisco, Shungaboy, Ian Sklarsky, W. Douglas Topper, George Towne, and Todd Yeager.
About Pines Nude Drawing
Pines Nude Drawing is a group of artists that meets on summer weekends to draw male models, in both private and public settings, in the Fire Island Pines. For more information visit PinesNudeDrawing.com or Facebook.com/pinesnudrawing.
BOYS OF SUMMER: Artwork from the Pines Nude Drawing Group
Exhibition dates: April 6 & 7, 12-7p.m.
Leslie-Lohman Museum Prince Street Project Space, 127 B Prince St., New York City
Admission is free. The artwork will be for sale.
See more artwork from Pines Nude Drawing on the following pages.
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: One Day in Big Gaylarious America 7:00 AM
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous 6:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 5:00 AM
- Parenting Nonprofit Serves Up Resource to Answer LGBT Parents' Questions 5:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM