In the Galleries: Alexander Kargelstev's Friends and Lovers
BY Christopher Harrity
February 07 2014 5:00 AM ET
It's a great time to support all LGBT Russian artists — and here's a great way to do it. New York's Leslie Lohman Museum of Gay and Lesbian Art is hosting a solo show by Alexander Kargaltsev.
Kargaltsev won a scholarship at the New York Film Academy and moved to New York in 2010. Having suffered persecution as a gay man in his native Russia, Alexander (Sascha) Kargaltsev requested and was granted asylum in the United States in 2011.
Kargaltsev will be showing his recent work shot in the new 600 series Polaroid film. For Kargaltsev, the revival of Polaroid photography evokes questions about the role of nostalgia in contemporary photography, while allowing him to create self-portraits, nude studies, still lifes, portraits of lovers and friends, and depictions of alternative lifestyles — all rendered in this most spontaneous of mediums.
Solo photography exhibition of the work of Alexander (Sascha) Kargaltsev
February 28 - March 2, 2014
Prince St. Project Space
127-B Prince Street
26 Wooster St.
New York, NY 10013
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias March 10 2014 6:08 PM