Million Moms Upset Over Gay Superheroes
BY Trudy Ring
May 25 2012 3:10 PM ET
One Million Moms, the right-wing group whose last campaign against a comic book was so successful that the issue sold out, is now upset about DC and Marvel Comics’ gay superheroes.
The group, which actually numbers far less than a million, is responding to DC’s announcement that it will reboot a major character as gay and Marvel’s plans to wed Northstar of the X-Men to his boyfriend.
“This is ridiculous!” reads a post on the One Million Moms website. “Why do adult gay men need comic superheroes as role models? They don’t but do want to indoctrate [sic] impressionable young minds by placing these gay characters on pedestals in a positive light. These companies are heavily influencing our youth by using children’s superheroes to desensitize and brainwash them in thinking that a gay lifestyle choice is normal and desirable. As Christians, we know that homosexuality is a sin (Romans 1:26-27).”
The post asks supporters to send DC and Marvel “an email urging them to change and cancel all plans of homosexual superhero characters immediately. Ask them to do the right thing and reverse their decision to have sexual orientation displayed to readers.”
Apparently whoever wrote the post didn’t stop to think that heterosexuality is also a sexual orientation, and it’s displayed to readers all the time. The writer also cites the group’s campaign earlier this year against retailer Toys “R” Us for carrying the issue of Life With Archie depicting popular character Kevin Keller’s same-sex wedding — not mentioning that the issue sold out its entire print run. The Million Moms also tried but failed to persuade JC Penney not to use Ellen DeGeneres as its commercial spokeswoman.
One Million Moms is a project of the antigay American Family Association, classified by the Southern Poverty Law Center as a hate group for spreading damaging misinformation about LGBT people.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Giants Pitcher Jeremy Affeldt Shares His Evolution on Homophobia
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The Wedding Channel WATCH: Flash Mob Gay Marriage Proposal in Central Park 15 min 27 sec ago
- Women Cannes is Abuzz About Blue is the Warmest Color's Explicit Lesbian Sex Scenes 37 min 20 sec ago
- Sports Giants Pitcher Jeremy Affeldt Shares His Evolution on Homophobia 1 hour 4 min ago
- Youth Disney Exec Named Head of GLSEN Board 2 hours 48 sec ago
- Transgender Transgender High School Senior Skips His Graduation 2 hours 59 sec ago
- Books Q&A Quickie: Justin Hernandez, from Gay Stripper to Naked Author 2 hours 6 min ago
- Women Todd Haynes To Direct Blanchett/Wasikowska in Patricia Highsmith Lesbian Potboiler 2 hours 21 min ago