The Hot Sheet
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 28 2010 7:35 PM ET
Conviction — Boys Don't Cry actress Hilary Swank stars in another true-life saga as underdog Betty Anne Waters, a working-class high school dropout who puts herself through law school to prove her brother (Sam Rockwell) innocent of murder. Minnie Driver costars as Waters's friend and colleague, while Juliette Lewis steals scenes in a showy supporting turn.
Jackass 3D— Johnny Knoxville, Steve-O, et al, return for the third theatrical release somewhat older but not necessarily wiser for a series of gross-out pranks, this time coming at you in 3-D. The usual homoerotic energy continues unabated as the guys are always willing to whip out their penises or insert things into any orifice in a series of gags that are alternately uproarious and unsettling. Be forewarned: Steve-O's "Poo Cocktail Supreme" might have you running for the exit doors.
Red — Helen Mirren says she studied Martha Stewart for her role as a partially retired black-ops CIA agent who is now living a quiet life of baking and flower arranging in the suburbs. And for that alone, Red is worth seeing. In it she partners with Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, Mary-Louise Parker, and John Malkovich for a more sophisticated than usual action-comedy. As heavy on the laughs as it is on the gunfire, this is one of those rare movies with something everyone in your inner circle might enjoy.
- An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement?
- R&B Singer Monifah Carter Talks About Her Journey as a Lesbian in the Music Industry
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Religion An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement? 22 min 38 sec ago
- Entertainment News A Moment For James Gandolfini 1 hour 34 min ago
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club June 19 2013 9:45 PM
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other June 19 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem June 19 2013 7:20 PM
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs June 19 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame June 19 2013 6:51 PM