Obie awards announced
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 23 2001 12:00 AM ET
The Obie awards, given by The Village Voice to honor off-Broadway theater, were given out Monday night at New Yorks Webster Hall. A big winner was Elis Coming, the musical revue based upon the work of the late lesbian singer Laura Nyro; actresses Ronnell Bey, Mandy Gonzalez, Judy Kuhn, and Anika Noni Rose all won for their performances, as did Diedre Murray for vocal and instrumental arrangements. A performance award also went to Jackie Hoffman for her work in The Book of Liz, the comedy by gay humorist David Sedaris.
- WATCH: Gay Couple Assaulted at Dallas BBQ in Chelsea
- Drag Race's Trixie Mattel: 'I Actually Thought I Would Win'
- WATCH: Jon Stewart's Mic-Drop on Antigay GOP's 'Slim Chances' at White House
- WATCH: Janet Mock Gives Oprah 'Ah-Ha' Moments About Gender
- Meet the Same-Sex Couple Who Made Dodger Stadium Swoon
- WATCH: Nebraska Woman Is Suing All 'Homosexuals' on Behalf of God