Obie awards announced
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 23 2001 12:00 AM ET
The Obie awards, given by The Village Voice to honor off-Broadway theater, were given out Monday night at New Yorks Webster Hall. A big winner was Elis Coming, the musical revue based upon the work of the late lesbian singer Laura Nyro; actresses Ronnell Bey, Mandy Gonzalez, Judy Kuhn, and Anika Noni Rose all won for their performances, as did Diedre Murray for vocal and instrumental arrangements. A performance award also went to Jackie Hoffman for her work in The Book of Liz, the comedy by gay humorist David Sedaris.
- Facebook Apologizes for 'Real Name' Policy
- California Becomes First State to Ban Gay, Trans 'Panic' Defenses
- The New 'Republicans Are People Too' Twitter Campaign Is An Epic Fail
- Op-ed: Think Before You Tweet 'Homophobe'
- Read This Mich. Democrat's Epic Response to Antigay Group's 'Pile of Excrement'
- Holder's Final Vow to Supreme Court: Uphold Marriage Equality