Heche talks to Barbara Walters about abuse, insanity, Ellen
September 06 2001 12:00 AM ET
In an interview
with Barbara Walters on 20/20 that will air Wednesday
night at 10 p.m. (Eastern and Pacific time; check local
listings), actress Anne Heche reveals that her father
sexually abused her until she was 12 and that the abuse made
her "insane" and led to her developing a split personality.
Reuters reports that Heche claims she did not recover from
her mental illness until after a breakdown last year in
Fresno County, Calif., when she took the drug ecstasy and
entered a stranger's home, babbling about God's spaceship.
"I had a fantasy world that I escaped to," says Heche, who
was involved with Ellen DeGeneres for more than three years.
"I called my other personality Celestia.... I believed I was
from another planet. I think I was insane." Heche, who was
married to cameraman Coleman Laffoon over the weekend,
claims that she had never been with another woman before her
involvement with DeGeneres and that the comedian was the
best sex she had ever had.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- PHOTOS: Best of Pride
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- Ethics Complaint Filed Against Texas AG Over Stance on Marriage Licenses
- PHOTOS: A Global Pride Explosion
- Show Your Pride With A Rainbow Filter For Your Facebook Profile Pic