Heche talks to Barbara Walters about abuse, insanity, Ellen
September 06 2001 12:00 AM ET
In an interview
with Barbara Walters on 20/20 that will air Wednesday
night at 10 p.m. (Eastern and Pacific time; check local
listings), actress Anne Heche reveals that her father
sexually abused her until she was 12 and that the abuse made
her "insane" and led to her developing a split personality.
Reuters reports that Heche claims she did not recover from
her mental illness until after a breakdown last year in
Fresno County, Calif., when she took the drug ecstasy and
entered a stranger's home, babbling about God's spaceship.
"I had a fantasy world that I escaped to," says Heche, who
was involved with Ellen DeGeneres for more than three years.
"I called my other personality Celestia.... I believed I was
from another planet. I think I was insane." Heche, who was
married to cameraman Coleman Laffoon over the weekend,
claims that she had never been with another woman before her
involvement with DeGeneres and that the comedian was the
best sex she had ever had.
- Why Can't We Talk About Homophobia in the Black Community?
- In Protesting Irish Marriage Victory, Westboro Gets the Flag Wrong
- WATCH: Out Musician Mika Shares Video for 'Good Guys,' a Bittersweet Homage to Gay Men
- Vatican Official Calls Irish Marriage Vote 'Defeat for Humanity'
- Dan Savage Calls Out Duggar's 'Staggering' Family Values Hypocrisy
- San Diego Mourns Third Trans Teen to Die by Suicide