Clive Barker hosts AMC's "Monsterfest"
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 27 2001 12:00 AM ET
Gay novelist Clive Barker, whose new book is Coldheart Canyon, will host American Movie Classics' annual "Monsterfest," highlighting classic horror films. Barker told the Los Angeles Times that he would take the gig only if the films--which include gay director James Whale's Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein--were treated respectfully. "Modern audiences, particularly young audiences, feel to some measure superior to horror movies, in part because they have been taught to be," says Barker. "The postmodern tradition of horror movies is, you sort of take them apart limb by limb and make mock of their clichés. It has made people very disrespectful of the genre, which didn't get much respect to start with." "Monsterfest 2001" kicks off Friday, October 26, and continues through Halloween; for more information visit monsterfest.amctv.com.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Schumer: The Reason We Excluded Gays Offers 'Little Comfort' 17 min 28 sec ago
- World News PHOTOS: Startling Response to Right-Winger's Suicide in Notre Dame 46 min 56 sec ago
- Crime Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence? 1 hour 38 min ago
- Film New Man Of Steel and Wolverine Trailers Debut 9:03 AM
- Travel Top 10 Ways to Score and Upgrade on Your Next Flight 8:27 AM
- Travel A Perfect Day in Rio 7:59 AM
- Marriage Equality Recalls of Pro-Marriage Equality Lawmakers Quashed in Minnesota 5:30 AM