Dueling Shepard films scheduled for same night
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 02 2002 1:00 AM ET
TV viewers may have to choose between two competing telefilms about Matthew Shepard if either HBO or NBC doesn't reschedule its respective project, reports the Los Angeles Times. Cable giant HBO announced a few weeks ago that The Laramie Project, a film adaptation of Moisés Kaufman's play based on interviews with the townspeople of Laramie, Wyo., following Shepard's murder, would make its broadcast premiere on March 16. Earlier this week, NBC chose the same night to premiere The Matthew Shepard Story, which stars Stockard Channing and Sam Waterston as Shepard's parents and was originally slated to air in the fall of 2001.
Chris Albrecht, HBO's president of original programming, said his network would likely shift Laramie Project, which had its world premiere at this year's Sundance Film Festival, to another night, adding, "It's taking this whole one-upmanship thing to a new low. I'm just surprised that [NBC] would damage their [own] movie...and sacrifice what should be an important project for the sake of--I don't know what." NBC, on the other hand, claimed that the scheduling matchup was pure coincidence. "Why would we ever pay attention to them?" said NBC entertainment president Jeff Zucker, alluding to the cable channel's smaller ratings in comparison with those of the major networks. Zucker also noted that NBC has not locked in the date for The Matthew Shepard Story and that it too could move.
A spokesman for the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation lauded both films but noted, "If they're competing against each other, no one wins."
- Women This is the Meryl Streep/Hillary Clinton Selfie You Need In Your Life Right Now! 43 min 30 sec ago
- Comedy Throwback Thursday: Richard Simmons' Inappropriate Whose Line Appearance 1 hour 30 min ago
- Women WATCH: AI's Out Performer MK Nobilette Does 'To Make You Feel My Love' 1 hour 46 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Married British Same-Sex Couples Are Now Legal 2 hours 1 min ago
- Travel Forget J.Lo, Windy City Gay Idol is the Hot Ticket 2 hours 4 min ago
- Parenting How Every Parent Should Respond to A Child Coming Out 2 hours 18 min ago
- Pride Will Lithuania Ban Pride Parades? 2 hours 20 min ago