Gerard Butler offered lead in Schumacher's Phantom of the Opera
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 30 2003 12:00 AM ET
He's not yet a household face, but Scottish actor Gerard Butler has been offered the starring role as the man behind the mask in out director Joel Schumacher's musical feature The Phantom of the Opera. Butler, who most recently appeared in Reign of Fire, next stars in Paramount's Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life.
Meanwhile, Anne Hathaway (The Princess Diaries) and Emmy Rossum (Songcatcher) have emerged as the top choices to play Phantom's female lead, Christine. Theater impresario Andrew Lloyd Webber's Really Useful Group is producing the project, which goes into production in October. A domestic distributor has yet to come on board.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Has Gaga Lost the Gays?
- Op-ed: Gay People Raising Kids Has Shifted From Downfall to Salvation
- ISIS Propaganda Claims Gays Are 'Pedophiles,' 'Animals'
- Jon Stewart Remembers When The NFL's Biggest Distraction Was a Gay Player
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media