Gerard Butler offered lead in Schumacher's Phantom of the Opera
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 29 2003 11:00 PM ET
He's not yet a household face, but Scottish actor Gerard Butler has been offered the starring role as the man behind the mask in out director Joel Schumacher's musical feature The Phantom of the Opera. Butler, who most recently appeared in Reign of Fire, next stars in Paramount's Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life.
Meanwhile, Anne Hathaway (The Princess Diaries) and Emmy Rossum (Songcatcher) have emerged as the top choices to play Phantom's female lead, Christine. Theater impresario Andrew Lloyd Webber's Really Useful Group is producing the project, which goes into production in October. A domestic distributor has yet to come on board.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Holding Out for a Gay Hero
- Another Lap for Michael Phelps’s Self-Proclaimed Girlfriend
- 5 James Baldwin Quotes That Foreshadowed Ferguson
- Michigan AG Asks Supreme Court To Skip Ruling on Marriage Equality
- Texas AG: Same-Sex Couples' Request to Marry 'Untimely, Out of Order'