Renee Zellweger the latest to step up to the mike for proposed Janis Joplin biopic
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 21 2003 12:00 AM ET
Variety reports that Renee Zellweger will portray famed bisexual rocker Janis Joplin in Piece of My Heart, which Paramount Pictures and Lakeshore hope to start shooting in early 2004. The project comes after numerous attempts at bringing Joplin's life to the screen, with proposed actresses including Brittany Murphy and Melissa Etheridge. Paramount chair Sherry Lansing has high hopes for the project: "Janis Joplin's life is a story that needs to be told, and there is no one better to portray her than Renee Zellweger."
- WATCH: Alabama Jails, Fines Minister After Performing Lesbian Wedding
- Where in the World Are the Happiest Gay Men?
- Gallery of Geek: Yannick Tallarida
- New Report Underlines Savage Inequalities Faced by LGBT Americans
- Poised for Perfection: Sgt. Shane Ortega Puts a Face to the Transgender Military Ban
- #TBT: Selling the Male Body