Will Young nominated for Britain's Ivor Novello Awards
April 26 2004 11:00 PM ET
Out Pop Idol winner Will Young will take on mass-selling singer Dido and Scottish indie outfit Belle and Sebastian for the Best Song award at the prestigious Ivor Novello awards, organizers said Monday. Young's "Leave Right Now" was also nominated in the best-selling U.K. single category for next month's awards, which honor the best British songwriters and composers. Dido's "White Flag" and Belle and Sebastian's "Step Into My Office Baby" are Young's competition for Best Song, with Ozzy and Kelly Osbourne's duet "Changes" and "Mad World" by Michael Andrews featuring Gary Jules doing battle for the best-seller. Kylie Minogue, previous winner of a clutch of Ivor Novello awards, was nominated for Best Contemporary Song with "Slow." She faces competition from Amy Winehouse's "Stronger Than Me" and "Jus' A Rascal" by Mercury Music Award-winner Dizzee Rascal. Coldplay, who were crowned Songwriters of the Year at last year's awards, are up for most performed work with "Clocks," along with Sugababes's "Hole in the Head" and Jamelia's "Superstar." Multiaward-winner Robbie Williams picked up a nomination in the International Hit of the Year category for "Feel," where he will be up against Dido's "White Flag" and Minogue's "Slow." The Ivor Novello awards take their name from the gay Welsh actor, composer, and playwright, who was one of the United Kingdom's biggest stage and screen stars in the early part of the last century. The winners will be announced at a ceremony in London on May 27.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback 0 sec ago
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album 1 hour 41 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS 1 hour 4 min ago
- Politics Gay Former Republican Congressman Condemns Interparty Discrimination 3:07 PM
- World News Putin Tightens Grip on Kremlin-Run News Agencies 3:02 PM
- Film Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries 2:53 PM
- Travel Super Seniors of the Palm Springs Follies Prepare for the End 2:49 PM