Beckham director to remake The Closet
May 04 2004 12:00 AM ET
Bend It Like Beckham director Gurinder Chadha will direct a remake of Francis Veber's French-language comedy The Closet (Le Placard) for Miramax Films and producer Lorne Michaels. Closet follows a bland accountant on the verge of being fired whose next-door neighbor helps him try to keep his job by convincing his boss that he is gay. Miramax released the original Veber version, which starred Daniel Auteuil and Gerard Depardieu, in 2001. Paul Mayeda Berges will adapt the screenplay with Chadha. Michaels will produce, with Jill Messick executive-producing. Closet is the latest remake of the oft-adapted Veber. Previous redos include Mike Nichols's The Birdcage, a remake of La Cage aux Folles, and Veber's English-language Three Fugitives, from his own French film Les Fugitifs.
- WATCH: This Indiana Pizzeria Won't Cater Gay Weddings
- WATCH: Conan's Hilarious Interview With Indiana's 'Religious Freedom Czar'
- 12 Celebrities Who Said the “F” Word
- Arrow and The Flash Stars: It's Time for a Gay Superhero on TV (Video)
- More Celebs Tweet Off on Indiana
- WATCH: Seth Meyers Takes Down Indiana's New Antigay Legislation