Beckham director to remake The Closet
May 04 2004 12:00 AM ET
Bend It Like Beckham director Gurinder Chadha will direct a remake of Francis Veber's French-language comedy The Closet (Le Placard) for Miramax Films and producer Lorne Michaels. Closet follows a bland accountant on the verge of being fired whose next-door neighbor helps him try to keep his job by convincing his boss that he is gay. Miramax released the original Veber version, which starred Daniel Auteuil and Gerard Depardieu, in 2001. Paul Mayeda Berges will adapt the screenplay with Chadha. Michaels will produce, with Jill Messick executive-producing. Closet is the latest remake of the oft-adapted Veber. Previous redos include Mike Nichols's The Birdcage, a remake of La Cage aux Folles, and Veber's English-language Three Fugitives, from his own French film Les Fugitifs.
- Op-ed: Gay Nightlife Is Dead — Long Live Gay Nightlife
- Op-ed: Rethinking the Shame Game Against Homophobes
- WATCH: Sprint Sends Customer Email to 'Gay Sissyboy'
- New ABC Talker Laura Ingraham Has Antigay Record
- Op-ed: I'm a Gay Guy at a Christian College
- WATCH: Ala. Woman Charged With Murder of Son's Boyfriend