Beckham director to remake The Closet
May 04 2004 12:00 AM ET
Bend It Like Beckham director Gurinder Chadha will direct a remake of Francis Veber's French-language comedy The Closet (Le Placard) for Miramax Films and producer Lorne Michaels. Closet follows a bland accountant on the verge of being fired whose next-door neighbor helps him try to keep his job by convincing his boss that he is gay. Miramax released the original Veber version, which starred Daniel Auteuil and Gerard Depardieu, in 2001. Paul Mayeda Berges will adapt the screenplay with Chadha. Michaels will produce, with Jill Messick executive-producing. Closet is the latest remake of the oft-adapted Veber. Previous redos include Mike Nichols's The Birdcage, a remake of La Cage aux Folles, and Veber's English-language Three Fugitives, from his own French film Les Fugitifs.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- Ethics Complaint Filed Against Texas AG Over Stance on Marriage Licenses
- Ted Cruz and the Fallout for Fire Island
- Trans Woman Who Expanded Facebook's Gender Options Banned For Not Using 'Real Name'
- Yet Another Court Tells Bobby Jindal to Issue Marriage Licenses