Isaiah Washington Donates for Marriage Equality
July 18 2008 12:00 AM ET
Washington has contributed to a group working to defeat a
ballot measure that would ban gay marriage in California,
Outsports.com reported Thursday. Washington's
publicist, Howard Bragman, who recently married
longtime partner Chuck O'Donnell, urged wedding guests to
donate to the efforts to stop the November ballot
measure, known as Proposition 8.
his role on the acclaimed ABC drama Grey's Anatomy
after using a homophobic slur against gay cast
member T.R. Knight on the set in 2006. He used the
word again at a 2007 Golden Globes ceremony in front of
reporters in denying the earlier incident. Washington
made attempts to atone for the slurs by meeting with
LGBT leaders, but he was terminated at the end of the
donated to Equality California, one of the leading
organizations fighting Proposition 8.
"Chuck and I were
very touched by [Washington's] generosity and his
support of this cause, and we expect many other high-profile
contributions,” Bragman told Outsports.com. "He said
he wishes us all the best and he supports the rights
of others in our community to get married." (The
- Artist Spotlight: Roberta Marrero
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media
- PHOTOS: Meet the First Trans Man to Win a Gay Games Gold in Powerlifting
- Op-ed: The Trouble With Teen Wolf
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg on Marriage Decision: 'No Need For Us to Rush'
- WATCH: Antigay Billboard Sparks Controversy in Tenn.