British Rapper Lady Sovereign Comes Out
BY Julie Bolcer
May 13 2010 10:15 AM ET
Lady Sovereign, the British rapper who revels in her small size and big attitude, confirmed that she is a lesbian. She acknowledged that she used to cave to publicists’ pressure to stay closeted, but now she really doesn’t really “give a s**t.”
The one-time Jay-Z protégé, who is 24 years old, talked about her sexuality with Diva magazine, according to the Toronto Sun, which reported the story from WENN blog.
"Magazines would always ask about it (sexuality) but (they) would get stopped by my publicists,” she told the gay magazine. “It was my choice, too, because I was a bit worried about it — but now I don’t really give a s**t.
"You can’t hide away forever. It’s just stupid and now I’ve come out I feel a lot more comfortable with myself. But it was a bit scary back then, because some people do have horrible opinions."
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- WATCH: Pastor Gets a Taste of His 'Sodomite Semen' Lattes By Sharing Parody Video
- Op-ed: How Gay Genius Alan Turing Got Me Through Middle School
- WATCH: NOM's Finances Are Even Worse Than We Thought
- These 48 Trans Women and Men Changed the World
- Op-ed: Why I Quit My Job at the United Nations