Whoopi Goldberg for Fight Back New York
BY Julie Bolcer
October 26 2010 10:00 AM ET
The train of celebrity videos calling for marriage equality in New York continues, with Whoopi Goldberg speaking for the PAC Fight Back New York.
In the video released Tuesday, the native New Yorker and cohost of The View announces that she is joining the PAC’s fight to remove the state senators who voted against the marriage equality bill last year.
“Here in New York, there are a few things that we like to call no-brainers: Avoiding Times Square on New Year’ s Eve; rooting for the Yankees; and standing up for your friends,” she says, adding, "You know, I understand not everybody is for gay marriage. But if you're
not for gay marriage, don't marry a gay person. That's what I say."
Fight Back New York helped contribute to the defeat of antigay Democrat Bill Stachowski in this year’s primary election in Buffalo, with winner Tim Kennedy now facing a tough general election. The group is also trying to unseat long-time Republican incumbent Frank Padavan in Queens.
The Goldberg video joins previous installments for Fight Back New York from Cynthia Nixon, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, and Rosie Perez. The HRC Campaign for New York Marriage is also producing its own video series for marriage equality, which has posted messages from celebrities including Julianne Moore, Fran Drescher, and Moby.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Youth Does AIDS in the Endzone Fumble? 48 min 37 sec ago
- Theater Five Decades Remembered At the Flash 1 hour 40 min ago
- Film Why is Behind the Candelabra Like Valley of the Dolls? 2 hours 19 min ago
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People 6:00 AM
- Youth WATCH: What Happens When Scout Comes Out at Camp 5:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay? 4:34 AM
- Current Issue We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago 4:00 AM