Dozens Audition for Gay
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 06 2011 5:40 PM ET
Dozens of LGBT hopefuls crowded the open casting call Saturday night for a new reality TV series inspired by MTV’s Jersey Shore.
The Associated Press reports on the action at Club In or Out in southern New Jersey, where aspiring stars from as far away as Washington, D.C., competed for the chance to appear in the show. Tentatively called Under the Boardwalk, the program will focus on a group of LGBT people living in a beach house in Atlantic City for a summer.
According to the AP, many of the hopefuls focused on modeling themselves after a Jersey Shore cast member, but series creator Kate Siegel insisted that imitation was not the point.
"We're not looking to create a gay version of the Jersey Shore or to find 'the gay Snooki,'” said the straight 22-year-old Princeton student. “And in no way will this be anything that has a negative effect on the LGBT community. We're hoping for anything compelling, because you never know what's going to walk through the door," she said.
Other auditions are planned for New York, Philadelphia, and Atlantic City.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- Freddy Krave Is His Own Best Model