Dozens Audition for Gay
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 06 2011 6:40 PM ET
Dozens of LGBT hopefuls crowded the open casting call Saturday night for a new reality TV series inspired by MTV’s Jersey Shore.
The Associated Press reports on the action at Club In or Out in southern New Jersey, where aspiring stars from as far away as Washington, D.C., competed for the chance to appear in the show. Tentatively called Under the Boardwalk, the program will focus on a group of LGBT people living in a beach house in Atlantic City for a summer.
According to the AP, many of the hopefuls focused on modeling themselves after a Jersey Shore cast member, but series creator Kate Siegel insisted that imitation was not the point.
"We're not looking to create a gay version of the Jersey Shore or to find 'the gay Snooki,'” said the straight 22-year-old Princeton student. “And in no way will this be anything that has a negative effect on the LGBT community. We're hoping for anything compelling, because you never know what's going to walk through the door," she said.
Other auditions are planned for New York, Philadelphia, and Atlantic City.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- Nintendo Will 'Fix' Bug That Allows Same-Sex Couples to Marry in Video Game
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 1 hour 41 min ago
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 2 hours 21 min ago
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM