Dozens Audition for Gay
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 06 2011 5:40 PM ET
Dozens of LGBT hopefuls crowded the open casting call Saturday night for a new reality TV series inspired by MTV’s Jersey Shore.
The Associated Press reports on the action at Club In or Out in southern New Jersey, where aspiring stars from as far away as Washington, D.C., competed for the chance to appear in the show. Tentatively called Under the Boardwalk, the program will focus on a group of LGBT people living in a beach house in Atlantic City for a summer.
According to the AP, many of the hopefuls focused on modeling themselves after a Jersey Shore cast member, but series creator Kate Siegel insisted that imitation was not the point.
"We're not looking to create a gay version of the Jersey Shore or to find 'the gay Snooki,'” said the straight 22-year-old Princeton student. “And in no way will this be anything that has a negative effect on the LGBT community. We're hoping for anything compelling, because you never know what's going to walk through the door," she said.
Other auditions are planned for New York, Philadelphia, and Atlantic City.
- Politics Gay Former Republican Congressman Condemns Interparty Discrimination 31 min 10 sec ago
- World News Putin Tightens Grip on Kremlin-Run News Agencies 36 min 6 sec ago
- Film Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries 44 min 58 sec ago
- Travel Super Seniors of the Palm Springs Follies Prepare for the End 49 min 17 sec ago
- Acceptance Matters WATCH: We Wish Every Coming Out Got a Hug-a-Thon 58 min 43 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Antigay Think Tank Could Use a Copy Editor 1 hour 2 min ago
- Television WATCH: The Super Trailer for RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6 1 hour 52 min ago