Media Fooled by Fake Gay Icon Poll
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 22 2011 8:50 AM ET
Media outlets including The Washington Post and the Toronto Sun appear to have been duped last week into reporting a fake poll that listed Britney Spears as the ultimate gay icon above other favorites including Lady Gaga.
The Broward Palm Beach New Times reports on the stunt, which was uncovered by Jason Parsley of South Florida Gay News. Suspicious of the results, the reporter tracked the source of the poll to an Examiner.com article by Fernando Palazzo.
“The poll was allegedly conducted by an organization Palazzo called ‘Orange County's Equality Project,’” reports the New Times. “In his digging, Parsley found no evidence of an organization with that exact name; a similarly named organization had no knowledge of the poll, nor of the spokesperson with whom Palazzo claimed to have spoken, Joel Waddell. In the Examiner article, the (fictional?) Waddell was quoted: ‘Britney Spears is a genuine gay icon. She is sincere in her affection for us, and doesn't need to exploit us as a marketing like some other current Madonna-like icon.’”
That icon, of course, is Lady Gaga, who has been trashed by the same Waddell in at least three stories by Palazzo.
According to South Florida Gay News, Waddell operates a blog called Orange County Equality Project. Palazzo admitted that Waddell tricked him, but The Washington Post, among the outlets that reported on the poll as if it were real, has yet to make a statement.
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 12 Excellent Gifts for Those Who Indulge 1 hour 21 min ago
- Women WATCH: Gaga & Xtina's Amazing '70s-era Lesbian Duet of "Do What U Want!" 2:04 AM
- Marriage Equality NOH8 Founders Adam Bouska & Jeff Parshley on Campaign's 5th Anniversary December 17 2013 9:23 PM
- Travel What's Hot in England for 2014 December 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Women WATCH: Adorable Lesbian Takes on How to Practice the Smells and Sounds of Sex! December 17 2013 8:10 PM
- Politics Obama, Biden Won't Be at Olympics December 17 2013 6:34 PM
- Film Joseph Gordon-Levitt Joins Film Adaptation of LGBT-Inclusive Comic Book December 17 2013 5:43 PM