Footballer in Saudi Arabia Fined for Gay Taunts
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 14 2011 9:05 AM ET
Meril Radoi, a Romanian footballer who plays for the Saudi Alhilal Club, has been fined the equivalent of $5,500 and suspended for two matches after describing a Saudi Arabian player as gay.
According to Emirates 24/7, last week Radoi prompted outrage when he made the remarks about Hussein Abdul Ghani, who plays for Nasr Club.
“I don’t know why he keeps following me and annoying me during the matches…he touches me like a girl…I don’t know why….perhaps he does not like women but men,” said Radoi.
Emirates 24/7 reports that Saudi newspapers attacked Radoi for what they described as “racist” comments.
- EXCLUSIVE: Watch the Official Trailer for 54: The Director's Cut
- Why Can't We Talk About Homophobia in the Black Community?
- Vatican Official Calls Irish Marriage Vote 'Defeat for Humanity'
- WATCH: Out Musician Mika Shares Video for 'Good Guys,' a Bittersweet Homage to Gay Men
- Op-ed: Let's Keep the Momentum Going After Win in Ireland
- In Protesting Irish Marriage Victory, Westboro Gets the Flag Wrong