Star to Direct Indie Gay Film
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 29 2011 1:25 PM ET
Broadway's Priscilla Queen of the Desert star Will Swenson will direct a film version of Facing East, a play by Carol Lynn Pearson. The Tony nominee for Hair will direct the independent film about the life of a Mormon couple whose faith is rattled by the suicide of their gay son.
“Getting through my own adolescence as a young Mormon was challenging as it was, but watching my best friend struggle with his identity as a gay teenager was heartbreaking,” Swenson, who is straight, said in a statement.
Production starts in autumn, and a percentage of profits from the film will be donated to the Trevor Project.
- Mormon Missionary Positions
- Jamie Foxx Called Out for Crossing Line on Bruce Jenner Jokes
- Is This Photo Proof Mike Pence Knew RFRA Discriminates Against LGBTs?
- Charles Barkley: Move Final Four Out of Indiana
- Alan Cumming Is Bisexual — And You Might Be Too
- The Only 2 Things to Know Out of Mike Pence's Dissembling Interview