Star to Direct Indie Gay Film
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 29 2011 1:25 PM ET
Broadway's Priscilla Queen of the Desert star Will Swenson will direct a film version of Facing East, a play by Carol Lynn Pearson. The Tony nominee for Hair will direct the independent film about the life of a Mormon couple whose faith is rattled by the suicide of their gay son.
“Getting through my own adolescence as a young Mormon was challenging as it was, but watching my best friend struggle with his identity as a gay teenager was heartbreaking,” Swenson, who is straight, said in a statement.
Production starts in autumn, and a percentage of profits from the film will be donated to the Trevor Project.
- Brokeback Mountain: The 10th Anniversary of a Gay Classic
- 10 Things People Living With HIV Are Sick of Hearing
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- The 'Ex-Gay' Candidate for Missouri Governor
- Queer Women in Their 30s Give Advice to Their 20-Something Selves
- Even the Rehearsal Footage From Madonna's Rebel Heart Tour Is Spellbinding