Star to Direct Indie Gay Film
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 29 2011 1:25 PM ET
Broadway's Priscilla Queen of the Desert star Will Swenson will direct a film version of Facing East, a play by Carol Lynn Pearson. The Tony nominee for Hair will direct the independent film about the life of a Mormon couple whose faith is rattled by the suicide of their gay son.
“Getting through my own adolescence as a young Mormon was challenging as it was, but watching my best friend struggle with his identity as a gay teenager was heartbreaking,” Swenson, who is straight, said in a statement.
Production starts in autumn, and a percentage of profits from the film will be donated to the Trevor Project.
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 2 hours 36 min ago
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 5:01 AM
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 4:00 AM
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM