Star to Direct Indie Gay Film
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 29 2011 1:25 PM ET
Broadway's Priscilla Queen of the Desert star Will Swenson will direct a film version of Facing East, a play by Carol Lynn Pearson. The Tony nominee for Hair will direct the independent film about the life of a Mormon couple whose faith is rattled by the suicide of their gay son.
“Getting through my own adolescence as a young Mormon was challenging as it was, but watching my best friend struggle with his identity as a gay teenager was heartbreaking,” Swenson, who is straight, said in a statement.
Production starts in autumn, and a percentage of profits from the film will be donated to the Trevor Project.
- Op-ed: How Transparent Tried and Failed to Represent Trans Men
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- WATCH: In Pat Robertson's Latest Diatribe, Gays Are 'Terrorists'
- Idaho Gov. Begs Court to Reverse 'Bad Law' of Marriage Equality
- In Their Own Words: Men of Color Explain Why They Take PrEP
- That's Amoré! 11 Irresistible Images of What Happened When Rome Recognized Same-Sex Marriages