Kevin Smith's Gay Hockey Wedding
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 23 2011 2:50 PM ET
Video of filmmaker Kevin Smith (Chasing Amy, Clerks) officiating the "I do"s of hockey superfans Scott Loudon and Michael Wojtowicz in February, is now online. The Los Angeles Kings fans have been in a relationship for 16 years and were wed in a ceremony conducted in Smith’s podcast studio and recorded for his SModcast podcast. The ceremony was also aired in part on ABC’s Nightline on February 22, in a segment about celebrity ministers that also included Tori Spelling and Kathy Griffin.
Said Smith about the ceremony being broadcast, “Suddenly, it goes from the 50 people here in this room to potentially the entire world [who get] to hear your wedding. And the more interesting the people are, the better it is. And if you're getting married here, you're really interesting. ... If you're getting married in hockey jerseys, and making me wear a referee jersey, and you're gay, and you're here, and you're huge hockey fans, we're in for a great show.”
- BREAKING: Kentucky Clerk Defies Supreme Court, Denies Same-Sex Couples Marriage Licenses
- WATCH: That Other Defiant Kentucky Clerk Named Davis Invokes 'Higher Power'
- Why Are We Gay?
- Pride at Work Tells HRC: ‘Enough Is Enough’
- STUDY: One-Third of Israelis Are Bisexual
- Freeheld: Love In the Time of Cancer