Naya Rivera to Host GLAAD Awards
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 04 2011 8:50 AM ET
Glee’s Naya Rivera will host the GLAAD Media Awards ceremony in San Francisco May 14 that will honor Sex and the City star Kim Cattrall.
According to a Wednesday announcement from the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, Cattrall will receive the Golden Gate Award for work that has increased the understanding and visibility of the LGBT community. The Golden Globe award–winning actress is currently appearing in the film Meet Monica Velour and will star in Noël Coward’s Private Lives on Broadway this fall.
“Kim Cattrall has not only grown acceptance of our community through story lines on shows like Sex and the City but used her platform to speak out for equality,” said GLAAD president Jarrett Barrios. “We are proud to honor such a talented and passionate advocate.”
During the ceremony at the San Francisco Marriot Marquis, former Wall Street Journal reporter Kara Swisher will receive the Local Hero Award and special honors will be presented to AT&T. Guests expected to attend include Mario Lopez and Sara Ramirez. Award winners will also be announced in the categories of Outstanding Film–Wide Release, Outstanding Documentary, and Outstanding Spanish-Language Music Artist.
The GLAAD Media Awards recognize and honor media for their fair, accurate, and inclusive representations of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people and the issues that affect their lives. A complete list of nominees for the 22nd annual GLAAD Media Awards is available here.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Trans Woman Who Expanded Facebook's Gender Options Banned For Not Using 'Real Name'
- Tennessee Hardware Store Puts Up 'No Gays Allowed' Sign
- Girl Scouts Return $100K When Donor Demands It 'Not Be Used' For Trans Girls
- Booing Jennicet Was Wrong, But Was What She Did Worse?
- Thomas Roberts Quits Hosting Miss USA Pageant Over Donald Trump's Anti-Mexican Rant