WATCH: LGBT Culture Becomes Fierce in Ultimate Gay Fighter Video Game
BY Jase Peeples
November 25 2013 3:38 PM ET
In the tradition of Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, and Soul Calibur comes a new video game that takes LGBT culture to a lethal (but entertaining) level, Ultimate Gay Fighter.
The video game presents a fabulous twist on the hetero-dominated word of fighting games with a wink and a nudge aimed at LGBT gamers.
From fighting fashionistas and fierce drag queens to lethal lesbians and devastating daddy bears, Ultimate Gay Fighter embraces stereotypes and aspects of queer culture to create a video game that is a fun and empowering piece of entertainment.
Ultimate Gay Fighter is the brainchild of Michal Patrick, who says the idea for the game originated “as a joke between my friends and me while we were drinking at brunch.” However, Patrick says he soon began to push for the game to become a reality when he began thinking about the idea more seriously in the days that followed.
“I started thinking about how gays are represented in the media,” Patrick says in a press release. “We are never the kick-ass fighters, the bad-asses who rescue you and save the day. And if we are, we are washed with heterosexual personas and mannerisms.”
Patrick hopes those who play Ultimate Gay Fighter will “enjoy the humor that my gay family brings me.”
“This game is my love letter to my gay family,” he says. “You can be queeny, you can be butch, or you can be in-between. You can me any or all the bandana colors and the colors in the rainbow flag. But no matter what color, we are fighters. We are warriors.”
Ultimate Gay Fighter will be available for iPhone, Android, and Windows phones beginning in January. Watch the official trailer below, and for more information visit UltimateGayFighter.com.
- Film Why Television Is Outpacing Film in Diversity 52 min 53 sec ago
- Current Issue A Letter to My Partners 1 hour 51 min ago
- Current Issue Number Crunch: A Church in Crisis 2 hours 52 min ago
- Current Issue The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd 4:00 AM
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM