Fergie: Labels and Love
BY Brandon Voss
November 10 2009 11:00 AM ET
Last seen on the big screen as lesbian zombie-lunch in Robert Rodriguezâ€™s Planet Terror, former child star Stacy Fergusonâ€™s got a feeling (woo-hoo!) that Nineâ€™s going to be a good, good film. Ferguson, who is better known as the Grammy-winning Black Eyed Peas singer-songwriter Fergie, portrays a prostitute alongside Daniel Day-Lewis and a cast of other highly decorated divas in out director Rob Marshallâ€™s movie musical, which is an adaptation of the 1982 Broadway show inspired by Felliniâ€™s 8 Â˝ and premieres in theaters December 18. Now touring to promote BEPâ€™s chart-topping CD The E.N.D., the M.A.C. Viva Glam spokesmodel explains her beef with Perez Hilton and why reports of her bisexuality are so 2000 (and late).
In Nine you play Saraghina, the voluptuous Italian whore who first stimulates the young libido of philogynist filmmaker Guido. Could you relate to her?
Definitely. There will be teenage boys at my shows, so sometimes Iâ€™m seducing them from the stage. Itâ€™s not like anythingâ€™s going to happen â€” itâ€™s very playful and flirtatious â€” but itâ€™s funny because Iâ€™m 34 and theyâ€™re 14. So I get that about Saraghina.
Whatâ€™s it like to work on a set where everyone but you has either won or been nominated for an Oscar?
Well, of course itâ€™s intimidating, but luckily for me it was a singing role, so I felt very excited. As far as being in everyoneâ€™s presence, I was just in awe. I was the rookie, just there doing my job to the best of my ability. I wasnâ€™t trying to show my peacock feathers; I was there to learn. I was like a sponge, taking it all in.
Did Dame Judi Dench know who you were?
I have no idea if she did or not, and it doesnâ€™t matter. I didnâ€™t need her to know. I remember being awestruck that I was sitting in the makeup chair next to her. She knows how to crack a great joke.
Whom did you bond with on set?
Kate Hudson and I definitely bonded the most because weâ€™re both free spirits and knew each other from back in the day. But I got close to everybody. Weâ€™d all have lunch together on set all the time. Everyone would have these light salads and Daniel Day-Lewis would have his little dessert of a dark chocolate chunk and a few almonds, but Iâ€™d be eating burgers and fries because I was gaining weight for the role. I even sent my assistant out to find microwave enchiladas in London. PenĂ©lope Cruz gained weight the healthy way with pasta and protein shakes, but I did not.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- Latest News
- 25 Rare Photos of Jinkx Monsoon Before "Drag Superstardom"
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride May 20 2013 6:01 PM
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 May 20 2013 6:00 PM