BY Jeremy Kinser
July 30 2010 7:30 PM ET
You’re so often surrounded by Playmates or seen that way, anyway. How much time do you have alone to yourself and what do you like to do in your free time when you’re alone?
Well, I spend very, very little time completely alone. I spend most of my quiet time with my girlfriend Crystal Harris. Those are the best times. People’s general impression, of course, is that it’s party time all the time at Playboy, but that’s clearly not the case. There may be events and parties going on several times a week, but if I spend any time at it, it will be very limited. Most of my good time at night is upstairs with my lady.
A couple years ago there was a biography of you published called Mr. Playboy, and it said that when you lived in Chicago you were propositioned by a gay man, and being so sexually liberated, you went through with it just for the experience. What do you remember of that?
Not a great deal. You’re talking about something that would be 55 years — more than half a century — ago. Sexual adventure is rooted in curiosity.
You turned 84 a few months ago. What’s your secret to such a long, prosperous, happy life?
Well, I think it has to do, first and foremost, with good DNA. My mother lived to be 101, so if you want to live a long time, pick your parents with great care. Beyond that, I think it has to do with taking care of yourself and having a good mental attitude. I have always seen life as a celebration, and I think that helps to keep you young.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People 1 hour 41 min ago
- Youth WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Scout Comes Out to Camp Leader 2 hours 42 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay? 4:34 AM
- Current Issue We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago 4:00 AM
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM