WATCH: James Duke Mason Is Involved in Political Thriller
BY Jeremy Kinser
August 01 2012 10:03 PM ET
Actor-activist James Duke Mason will team with director Matthew Mishory for Disappear Here, a thriller set in "the parallel shadow worlds of Hollywood and high-stake national politics."
Mishory, whose gorgeous drama Joshua Tree 1951: A Portrait of James Dean, is an acclaimed hit on the festival circuit, will helm what's described as "a tale of blackmail, sexuality, and personal courage." Mishory says the film will "follow in the footseps of classical Hollywood thrillers while tackling a very modern issue — with a bit of the 80s New Wave thrown in. It will be stylish, sexy, and perhaps a bit shocking."
Mason is excited to combine his two passions in one project. "Not only will this film be exciting and captivating to watch, but it will also send a strong political and social statement about the country we live in," Mason tells The Advocate. "It's a neo-noir thriller that has a powerful message for our society, and I think that's what makes it unique."
The men have launched a Kickstarter campaign to help raise funds for their project and have enlisted Mason's father, Morgan, a veteran movie producer, as executive producer.
"I was fortunate to be involved from the very beginning of Sex, Lies, & Videotape, and witnessed firsthand howit changed the way films were financed and distributed," he says, adding, "I think we have the same potential with Kickstarter and Disappear Here."
Find out more about the film's Kickstarter campaign here. Watch Mason and Mishory discuss Disappear Here below.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- Op-ed: Democrats Throw Queers Under the Bus—Again
- French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra May 25 2013 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? May 25 2013 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash May 25 2013 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings May 25 2013 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak May 25 2013 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 May 25 2013 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' May 25 2013 12:35 PM