Beloved Character to Come Out in 'How To Train Your Dragon' Sequel
BY Lucas Grindley
May 17 2014 2:42 PM ET
Gobber the Belch will have a subtle coming out moment in the upcoming sequel to the popular animated film, How to Train Your Dragon, its director tells E! News.
Comedian Craig Ferguson voices the Viking character and apparently improvised the moment. Gobber was watching a straight couple argue and had the line "This is why I never got married," then Ferguson added there was one other reason. Out director and writer Dean DeBlois said Ferguson "added it as an ad lib and he said, 'Yup, Gobber is coming out of the closet.'"
DeBlois told E! News' Marc Malkin that he immediately liked the idea, calling it a "daring move to put in." The movie surely could get more attention from the right-wing, which criticized ParaNorman for including an openly gay character prominently in its storyline in 2012.
Watch a scene from the movie in which Gobber plays the tough trainer of Viking dragon-hunters:
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Iowa Couple Plans 1,000 Antigay Billboards
- Texas Gay Man, 32, Dies in Custody After Being Denied Medication
- The True Meaning of the Word 'Cisgender'
- 10 Tips on Growing Older for LGBT People Under 40
- Alabama's Antigay Judge Roy Moore Slapped With New Ethics Charges