Queer-Casting the Next X-Men Movie
BY Brian Andersen
June 20 2014 8:00 AM ET
The X-Men may be touted as one of the greatest LGBT allegories the superhero genre has ever spawned. But despite the obvious subtext, the big-screen adventures of Marvel’s most famous mutants have yet to include a clearly queer character. That’s why we’ve decided to help the creative minds behind the next installment of the film franchise. The following is a handy list of not only the best LGBT and LGBT-adjacent characters who would crank up the awesome factor of 2016’s X-Men: Apocalypse film, but also the actors we think would best fit the roles.
Northstar is the first and arguably the best-known gay mutant. He came out in 1992 and got married in 2012. He’s the poster boy for gay mutants. No LGBT dream cast could possibly be complete without the inclusion of this mutant speedster with a snotty attitude.
Dream Casting: Neil Patrick Harris
The affable and adored Neil Patrick Harris is America’s gay next door. He’s the rare actor who has become even more popular and beloved after having come out. Plus he nailed playing aloof and haughty for nine seasons as Barney in How I Met Your Mother. NPH would kill it as the Canadian curmudgeon.
- Gallery of Geek: Yannick Tallarida
- Dan Savage Calls Out Duggar's 'Staggering' Family Values Hypocrisy
- Op-ed: I'm a Trans Man Who Doesn't 'Pass' — And You Shouldn't Either
- The Cities LGBTs Love And the Ones We Shun
- Eurovision Winner Who Called Gays an 'Abnormality' Changes Tune
- RuPaul Slays in New Video 'Modern Love'