Hot Sheet: Sighs Matter
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 21 2013 7:46 PM ET
4. FILM: Philomena
Judi Dench stars in the title role of Philomena Lee, a woman determined to recover a son she was forced to give up for adoption in the 1950s, when she bore the child out of wedlock within a conservative Irish Catholic community. With the assistance of a reporter from the BBC (Steve Coogan), Philomena embarks on her quest for reunion and redemption with a grown son, who, as she discovers, is a gay politician. Based on a true story, the film has garnered acclaim from critics (91 percent on review aggregate website RottenTomatoes.com), who hail Dench’s performance as well as the screenplay, written by Coogan, which moves the audience to both laughter and tears. —Daniel Reynolds
Philomena premieres this weekend in New York and Los Angeles. Watch the trailer below.
- Mormon Missionary Positions
- Is This Photo Proof Mike Pence Knew RFRA Discriminates Against LGBTs?
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- 12 Celebrities Who Said the “F” Word
- Charles Barkley: Move Final Four Out of Indiana
- The Only 2 Things to Know Out of Mike Pence's Dissembling Interview