WATCH: Grandmother Says Being Gay Doesn't Matter
BY Jase Peeples
July 02 2013 5:16 PM ET
Many people have stereotyped older generations as being antigay simply because of the era in which they were born. However, Elaine — the grandmother of comedian and radio talk show host Dave Rubin — is proof that age has nothing to do with a person’s opinion on LGBT civil rights.
In the video below, Rubin asks his grandmother to share a few words of wisdom she has picked up during her lifetime. After she says the most important thing in life is “to be a kind person,” Rubin reminds her that he told her he was gay a few years ago. Elaine not only says she doesn’t care, but that she had completely forgotten about her grandson’s sexuality. “I guess I’ve known it, but I never think about it. It doesn’t matter to me.”
“Are you a good person? That’s all that counts,” she says before adding. “How many people aren’t gay and they’re stinkers? So what’s the difference?”
Clearly, anyone wishing to live a good life would be wise to take a few notes from Elaine.
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade
- Do New Immigration Detention Guidelines Fail Trans Detainees?
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda 1 hour 8 min ago
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina 2 hours 8 min ago
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver March 14 2014 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans March 14 2014 6:55 PM
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 March 14 2014 6:41 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages March 14 2014 6:39 PM
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? March 14 2014 5:30 PM