WATCH: To Russia With (Gay) Love
BY Jase Peeples
November 07 2013 2:06 PM ET
Vlogger Davey Wavey has partnered with several friends in cities around the world to send a hopeful message to LGBT people in Russia with a touching new video titled “To Russia With (Gay) Love.”
In the video, a quartet of young men harmonize in a beautiful a cappella rendition of the song “I Can Sing a Rainbow” as supporters in Montreal, London, Stockholm, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Singapore, and Melbourne write messages of hope to LGBT Russians on an oversize card.
In addition to the increasing international support for Russia’s LGBT community, a Gallup poll released in September found 69% of Americans disapprove of the country’s harsh and far-reaching antigay legislation that was signed by into law by President Vladimir Putin this summer. The law imposes fines and jail time for anyone found to be distributing or discussing "propaganda of nontraditional sexual relations" in a venue accessible to minors.
The growing disapproval of Russia’s treatment of LGBT people is powerfully reflected in the video below.
- Why Can't We Talk About Homophobia in the Black Community?
- Dan Savage Calls Out Duggar's 'Staggering' Family Values Hypocrisy
- San Diego Mourns Third Trans Teen to Die by Suicide
- 14 Stunning Photos of LGBT Military Personnel
- Op-ed: The Amtrak Accident Isn't Part of the Gay Agenda
- WATCH: Alabama Jails, Fines Minister After Performing Lesbian Wedding