WATCH: To Russia With (Gay) Love
BY Jase Peeples
November 07 2013 2:06 PM ET
Vlogger Davey Wavey has partnered with several friends in cities around the world to send a hopeful message to LGBT people in Russia with a touching new video titled “To Russia With (Gay) Love.”
In the video, a quartet of young men harmonize in a beautiful a cappella rendition of the song “I Can Sing a Rainbow” as supporters in Montreal, London, Stockholm, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Singapore, and Melbourne write messages of hope to LGBT Russians on an oversize card.
In addition to the increasing international support for Russia’s LGBT community, a Gallup poll released in September found 69% of Americans disapprove of the country’s harsh and far-reaching antigay legislation that was signed by into law by President Vladimir Putin this summer. The law imposes fines and jail time for anyone found to be distributing or discussing "propaganda of nontraditional sexual relations" in a venue accessible to minors.
The growing disapproval of Russia’s treatment of LGBT people is powerfully reflected in the video below.
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages
- Do New Immigration Detention Guidelines Fail Trans Detainees?
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda 1 hour 13 min ago
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina 2 hours 13 min ago
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver March 14 2014 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans March 14 2014 6:55 PM
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 March 14 2014 6:41 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages March 14 2014 6:39 PM
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? March 14 2014 5:30 PM