WATCH: To Russia With (Gay) Love
BY Jase Peeples
November 07 2013 2:06 PM ET
Vlogger Davey Wavey has partnered with several friends in cities around the world to send a hopeful message to LGBT people in Russia with a touching new video titled “To Russia With (Gay) Love.”
In the video, a quartet of young men harmonize in a beautiful a cappella rendition of the song “I Can Sing a Rainbow” as supporters in Montreal, London, Stockholm, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Singapore, and Melbourne write messages of hope to LGBT Russians on an oversize card.
In addition to the increasing international support for Russia’s LGBT community, a Gallup poll released in September found 69% of Americans disapprove of the country’s harsh and far-reaching antigay legislation that was signed by into law by President Vladimir Putin this summer. The law imposes fines and jail time for anyone found to be distributing or discussing "propaganda of nontraditional sexual relations" in a venue accessible to minors.
The growing disapproval of Russia’s treatment of LGBT people is powerfully reflected in the video below.
- Kris Humphries Blames Vague Tweet, Supports Bruce Jenner
- More Events Cancel Over Gay Hotel Owner's Ted Cruz Dinner Party
- Bruce Jenner: 'I'm A Woman'
- Op-ed: The White Party and Gay Culture Need More Color
- Check Out The Enormous Support for Bruce Jenner from Celebs on Twitter
- 7 Lessons in How (And How Not) to Interview Trans People