Adam Lambert: First Openly Gay Musician To Debut at Top of Billboard Charts
BY Jeremy Kinser
May 23 2012 12:38 PM ET
With Trespassing Adam Lambert confirms his superstar status and makes history as the first openly LGBT vocalist to have an album debut at the number 1 position of the Billboard album charts.
Released May 15, Trespassing premieres at the top of both Billboard's Top 200 chart and digital albums chart. With a mix of dance songs and ballads, including the equality anthem "Outlaws of Love," the album has also received exceptionally strong notices from music critics. Lambert's first album, For Your Entertainment, debuted at number 3 in 2009. Other LGBT recording artists, including Elton John and George Michael, have had number 1 albums, but prior to coming out publicly.
Watch a teaser for the soon-to-be-released video for Lambert's single "Never Close Our Eyes" below.
- Lesbian Feminist Cathy Brennan Sues AfterEllen for Defamation
- 60 Music Videos That Raised LGBT Visibility
- REPORT: Lawsuit Targets Woman Killed in Caitlyn Jenner Crash
- Op-ed: We Just Saw a Turning Point for Global LGBT Rights
- U.S. Marine Claims 'Trans Panic' in Murder of Trans Filipina Jennifer Laude
- We Made Lily Tomlin Cry