Britney Calms Gay Contestant's Nerves
BY Neal Broverman
June 19 2012 11:52 AM ET UPDATED: June 19 2012 8:08 PM ET
During a highly-charged audition, Britney Spears reassured a contestant on the show X Factor that she had no problem with him being gay.
The pop sensation is one of the judges on the Fox reality competition, and at an audition on Sunday in San Francisco, a male contestant stepped up onto the stage. Spears told the other judges she knew who the singer was; they did a duet together over a decade ago. The contestant became emotional after seeing Spears.
"I'm gay," he said, crying. "At the time I didn't think I was worthy. I didn't think you thought it was OK that I am gay."
Spears, keeping her composure, said she had no problem with him being gay. The star then attempted to calm the contestant.
"She's been through a lot in those 10 years too, so it must have been a shock for her to see him," a source tells People. "You could tell she was emotional and she really felt for him especially when he was crying, but she also stayed calm."
UPDATE: It appears the contestant is Don Philip, who sang with Spears on the song "I Will Still Love You" from the ...Baby, One More Time Album.
Philip wrote the following on his Facebook page yesterday:
"Tonight i might have sealed my music career fate according to a certain music mogul. I tryed to just be real and instead it totally got turned around on me. . Perhaps this was not the place for me to reveal my very soul and obstacles of my past. Certainly not the place for a reunion ... I promise I only had good intentions in mind.. There is one problem my good intentioned comments and revelation were refereed by two pompass arrogant men. My voice froze i started to sing when I was told to but I could not recover from what felt like a really hardcore interogation. I guess I am not as tough skinned as I thought....Wait it gets worse.. when I looked into the very eyes of my old label mate and saw she to was sad.I knew the whole situation was spinning out of control.. my heart broke.. I am numb"
Philip later wrote, "maybe simon will give me a second chance.. i was so exhausted could not sleep night before..and so scared to face britney thinking what to say.. Also i had been carrying this heavy burden..and i wanted to just let it out..so all day it was brewing..and 4 hours of interviews..left my voice done.. Simon give me another shot..like the past xfactor winner.. i can do it"
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
- Editor's Letter: Why One Couple's Story Should Worry You
- 25 Rare Photos of Jinkx Monsoon Before "Drag Superstardom"
- Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship
- The Small Southwestern Town That Went Rogue
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Minnesota Antibullying Bill Dies in Senate 15 min 41 sec ago
- Music Q&A Quickie: Colton Ford on Sex, New Music, and The Lair 1 hour 17 min ago
- Marriage Equality Minneapolis Church Celebrates Marriage Equality with Rainbow Communion Bread 1 hour 26 min ago
- Commentary Can Marc Carson's Murder Have as Much Impact as Matthew Shepard's? 9:09 AM
- Music The Comeback: ABBA's Agnetha Fältskog 8:49 AM
- Travel 10 of Europe's Gayest Beaches 7:33 AM
- Current Issue The South's Longer Wait for Equality 4:00 AM