12 Reasons Lady Gaga Deserves Our 'Applause'
BY Jase Peeples
August 20 2013 6:00 AM ET
Just One of the Guys
In a move that challenged gender stereotypes and conceptions, Gaga appeared at the 2011 MTV VMA’s dressed in male drag calling herself Jo Calderone and delivering an unforgettable performance of her hit song “You and I.”
Actions Speak Louder Than Words
In 2012, Gaga launched the Born This Way Foundation, a nonprofit organization that focuses on youth empowerment and related matters, such as self-confidence, well-being, mentoring, career development, and the fight agains bullying. Backing up her words with action, the songstress donated $1.2 million to help with initial efforts to get the organization off the ground. Then, with the Born Brave Bus tour, she took suicide prevention materials on the road with her to concerts. “Together we hope to establish a standard of bravery and kindness, as well as a community worldwide that protects and nurtures others in the face of bullying and abandonment,” Gaga said in a statement announcing the foundation.
- 60 Music Videos That Raised LGBT Visibility
- Op-ed: Whither Gay Provincetown?
- Lesbian Feminist Cathy Brennan Sues AfterEllen for Defamation
- REPORT: Lawsuit Targets Woman Killed in Caitlyn Jenner Crash
- U.S. Marine Claims 'Trans Panic' in Murder of Trans Filipina Jennifer Laude
- Katrina Update: Where Are They Now?