Lady Gaga Talks to President Obama About Bullying
BY Lucas Grindley
September 26 2011 3:26 PM ET
Lady Gaga attended a fund-raiser with the president Sunday night, according to a White House pool report, and she raised the issue of suicide and bullying of gay teens.
The report describes her as wearing enormous heels that had her towering over President Obama as she made her way through a photo line with her manager, having a polite exchange with the leader of the free world. Gaga reportedly wore a lacy black dress, with her hair gathered atop her head with a black veil.
During a question-and-answer session after the president spoke, Gaga thanked Obama for hosting an antibullying conference earlier this year and then implored everyone in the room to do what they could about the problem and the resulting suicides.
Photographers were not allowed in the room, and no other photos have yet surfaced. ABC News reports that the $35,800-per-couple fund-raiser was held in Atherton, Calif., at the home of Sheryl Sandberg, Facebook’s chief operating officer.
This isn't the singer's first brush with Washington. For example, she spoke at the National Mall ahead of repeal of "don't ask, don't tell," called for repeal of the policy repeatedly, and exchanged tweets with Senate majority leader Harry Reid on the issue.
Gaga had said recently via Twitter that she intended to meet with the president and pledged to talk about the death of Jamey Rodemeyer, a 14-year-old boy who committed suicide after repeated bullying at his school. Rodemeyer, a big fan of Gaga's and self-professed "little monster," was buried this weekend in a "Born This Way" T-shirt.
Gaga dedicated a moving performance of "Hair" to him on Saturday at the I Heart Radio concert in Las Vegas. Watch the video below.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers
- Entertainment News Tom Daley: 'It Really Was Love at First Sight' 4 min 44 sec ago
- Sports WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers 7:04 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black 6:00 AM
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM