Lady Gaga Talks to President Obama About Bullying
BY Lucas Grindley
September 26 2011 4:26 PM ET
Lady Gaga attended a fund-raiser with the president Sunday night, according to a White House pool report, and she raised the issue of suicide and bullying of gay teens.
The report describes her as wearing enormous heels that had her towering over President Obama as she made her way through a photo line with her manager, having a polite exchange with the leader of the free world. Gaga reportedly wore a lacy black dress, with her hair gathered atop her head with a black veil.
During a question-and-answer session after the president spoke, Gaga thanked Obama for hosting an antibullying conference earlier this year and then implored everyone in the room to do what they could about the problem and the resulting suicides.
Photographers were not allowed in the room, and no other photos have yet surfaced. ABC News reports that the $35,800-per-couple fund-raiser was held in Atherton, Calif., at the home of Sheryl Sandberg, Facebook’s chief operating officer.
This isn't the singer's first brush with Washington. For example, she spoke at the National Mall ahead of repeal of "don't ask, don't tell," called for repeal of the policy repeatedly, and exchanged tweets with Senate majority leader Harry Reid on the issue.
Gaga had said recently via Twitter that she intended to meet with the president and pledged to talk about the death of Jamey Rodemeyer, a 14-year-old boy who committed suicide after repeated bullying at his school. Rodemeyer, a big fan of Gaga's and self-professed "little monster," was buried this weekend in a "Born This Way" T-shirt.
Gaga dedicated a moving performance of "Hair" to him on Saturday at the I Heart Radio concert in Las Vegas. Watch the video below.
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- Gay Politics - Marriage Equality, Gay Rights, Anti-Discrimination
- Current Issue Number Crunch: A Church in Crisis 23 min 50 sec ago
- Current Issue The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd 1 hour 23 min ago
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM