PHOTOS: The Two Worlds of Leon Eldridge
BY Advocate Contributors
September 19 2013 4:00 AM ET
Leon Eldridge is a bisexual 26-year-old man living in Lubbock, Texas. He graduated from Southern Methodist University in Dallas with a degree in operatic performance and classical music, and he sings at the Metropolitan Community Church in Lubbock. He said he has been involved with music ministry since he was 16, and it has been a big part of his adult life.
But he also has another identity — one he fictionalized from his drive to be creative.
Bohemia Rothschild is a drag queen born out of Eldridge's mind. She performs at Heaven Night Club, a gay venue in Lubbock, on weekends, but she is also known to visit another gay club, Club Luxor, when Heaven Night Club is not open.
However; Eldridge's life as a bisexual man living in Lubbock has not been without adversity. Lubbock is the second most conservative city in the United States, according to a study done by the Bay Area Center for Voting Research.
This becomes apparent when Eldridge discusses an instance in which he was beaten by a group of men outside a bar for inadvertently disclosing his sexuality.
Leon Eldridge pours shots for a group of customers July 19, 2013, at Belly's Cafe in Lubbock, Texas.
- Why Can't We Talk About Homophobia in the Black Community?
- WATCH: Out Musician Mika Shares Video for 'Good Guys,' a Bittersweet Homage to Gay Men
- In Protesting Irish Marriage Victory, Westboro Gets the Flag Wrong
- Vatican Official Calls Irish Marriage Vote 'Defeat for Humanity'
- PHOTOS: International Mr. Leather Weekend
- San Diego Mourns Third Trans Teen to Die by Suicide