PHOTOS: The Two Worlds of Leon Eldridge
BY Advocate Contributors
September 19 2013 4:00 AM ET
Leon Eldridge is a bisexual 26-year-old man living in Lubbock, Texas. He graduated from Southern Methodist University in Dallas with a degree in operatic performance and classical music, and he sings at the Metropolitan Community Church in Lubbock. He said he has been involved with music ministry since he was 16, and it has been a big part of his adult life.
But he also has another identity — one he fictionalized from his drive to be creative.
Bohemia Rothschild is a drag queen born out of Eldridge's mind. She performs at Heaven Night Club, a gay venue in Lubbock, on weekends, but she is also known to visit another gay club, Club Luxor, when Heaven Night Club is not open.
However; Eldridge's life as a bisexual man living in Lubbock has not been without adversity. Lubbock is the second most conservative city in the United States, according to a study done by the Bay Area Center for Voting Research.
This becomes apparent when Eldridge discusses an instance in which he was beaten by a group of men outside a bar for inadvertently disclosing his sexuality.
Leon Eldridge pours shots for a group of customers July 19, 2013, at Belly's Cafe in Lubbock, Texas.
- Op-ed: 'Religious Discrimination' Laws Have Nothing to Do With Religion
- Indiana Newspaper Sends Big Message
- These Indiana Businesses Haven't Weighed in on Discrimination
- Arrow and The Flash Stars: It's Time for a Gay Superhero on TV
- Gov. Mike Pence: 'This Is a Perception Problem'
- Subaru Comes Out Against Indiana's 'License to Discriminate'