PHOTOS: Alaska Is for Lovers
BY Christopher Harrity
January 14 2014 7:00 AM ET
Stephen and Keegan Fritts
Although Alaska is unlike anywhere else in the country, love there looks like it does just about any place.
But what photographers Mitch Kitter and Shalem Mathew really set out to prove with the launch of the "Love Is Love" project in the summer of 2012 is even simpler — that love is love, no matter if you are straight or LGBT.
They photographed 28 same-sex couples from all over Alaska while filmmaker April Frame recorded video, conducted interviews, and compiled a video that is sure to leave you misty eyed. (Check out a preview of the film on the last page.) At their gallery opening October 5, more than 760 Alaskans came to show their support. Even Sen. Lisa Murkowski sent the artists a note about the project after announcing her support for the repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act.
Now the project's organizers want to launch "More Love to More People" with a photo book featuring LGBT couples and families all over the United States. This year they will take the project on the road, visiting Utah, Texas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia. Through their campaign on Kickstarter, if they reach their goals, the team will photograph couples in the Midwest in May, and the South in November.
Check out some of their stunning photos from Alaska on the following pages.
Casey Griffith and Adam Womble
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Uganda Op-ed: Uganda's Top Tabloid Isn't News, It's a Hit List 26 min 56 sec ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Miami's Winter Party Combines Skin, Philanthropy 58 min 27 sec ago
- Television Fox's Brooklyn Nine-Nine Quietly Breaks Ground 1 hour 4 min ago
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Ushering in a New Year Money Minute 2 hours 4 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Opera Director Gerard Mortier Dies at 70 2 hours 19 min ago
- Television MTV's Awkward Adds 2 New Gay Characters 2 hours 39 min ago
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 6:01 AM